Nominations for the 2019 Alberta Wind Symphony will open March 15, 2019.
Admission to the Alberta Wind Symphony is made by music teacher/conductor recommendation. Teachers and Conductors should submit a Recommendation Rubric and Nomination Form for each student they plan to recommend. In addition, music teachers/conductors are asked to send home the Instrumentalist Questionnaire to be completed by the recommended instrumentalist and their parents. The questionnaire is to be returned to the music teacher/conductor and submitted along with the Recommendation Rubric and Nomination Form.
Teachers may select up to 4 nominees for the ensemble per school to be considered for the ensemble. Students will be selected based on the following criteria:
To ensure that the Alberta Wind Symphony truly represents all sectors of Alberta, the selection committee endeavors to provide an opportunity for equal representation across the province and selects students from both rural and urban areas where possible.
Nomination Form & Recommendation Rubric
Information collected on the nomination form and recommendation rubric will be evaluated to determine the members of the ensemble. Assigned scores and rankings provided by the teacher will be considered along with any additional information the teacher can provide regarding the student, their abilities, and their desire to participate with be considered. If a student has participated in the ensemble in a previous year, this will also be considered and students who have not yet had the opportunity to play in the AWS will be given preference for participation.
Some schools may have more than others represented in the ensemble. While the selection will try to make the distribution of participants between schools as even as possible, it is import that the ensemble is balanced. To this end, the committee may select more students from one area to create a well balanced ensemble.
Preference will be given to those students currently in grade 12 who will not be able to participate because they are aging out of the ensemble, especially if those students have never played in the Alberta Wind Symphony.
Recommendation and Nomination Process
- Teachers/conductors are invited to develop a list of 4 of their strongest band members for recommendation who they feel would benefit most from the honour band experience.
- Teachers/conductors will distribute the Instrumentalist Questionnaire Forms (provided in this Recommendation Packet) to the 4 ensemble members selected for recommendation.
- Instrumentalists and their parents/guardians will complete the Instrumentalist Questionnaire and return it to their teacher/conductor.
- Using their knowledge of the ensemble members and the information provided on the Instrumentalist Questionnaires, teachers/conductors complete a Recommendation Rubric (online) for each recommended band member and rank each ensemble member in priority order for acceptance to the Wind Symphony.
- Teachers/conductors will forward the completed Instrumentalist Questionnaires to the Alberta Band Association office by scan & email or fax or by uploading into the online Recommendation Rubric form. Forms can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to (780) 488-6403
- The Alberta Band Association Wind Symphony Committee and staff will collate the forms and establish the roster for the band.
- Teachers/conductors will be advised as to which of their recommended band members have been accepted into the Alberta Wind Symphony. Acceptance letters and registration forms, and encouraging letters of non-acceptance, will be sent directly to recommended instrumentalists by the Alberta Band Association office.
- Upon the receipt of registration forms and fees, music will be sent by email directly to the accepted instrumentalists.